Below is the first version of the facilitation guide. Since it is online, it might evolve and enrich over time. Good luck in facilitating this serious game and wishing you all the playful learning!
Roleflections is an experimental conference or event mini-role playing game for 8-100 people and will take 15-30 minutes at the end of an event. The goal is to help you reflect in -hopefully- unexpected ways during today’s conference. It does so by asking you to take a specific perspective. Look at today as if you are one of these roles.
- Have at least 5 more different role cards than participants (So with 30 people have 35 ready. There are 8 roles. Makes sure to spread them equally)
- Have a role overview card for all participants
Your ready to have a wonderful event and wonder what insights, tools and practices you might take home. Or you might be wondering what your organisation has planned for and what the concequences for you and your colleagues will be. Often we think about ‘take aways’ and ‘how to put my learnings in to actions’. We tend to forget we also have emotions that are quite busy during such events. Roleflections will help you reflect using your emotions but only certain ones.
- Give two differen roles to a participant. And let them pick one based on the picture and the framing on the backside.
- Also give them a roles overview card.
- Tell them NOT to share which Role they have, as others will need to guess at the end of the day!
- Encourage them to during the day when they notice something in line with their role, write down their feelings, observations or thoughts.
- This way try and write down up to three reflections
After the event
- Ask people to secretly grab their two roles in their hands. On the front have the role card with their observations,thoughts and emotions written on their and cover it on the backside with the roles overview.
- Now ask them to pair up and share their observations, thoughts and emotions without reveiling their role card!
- The pair has 3 minutes to share and reflect together. Make sure the both of you have enough time to speak.
- After 3 minutes guess which role the other person had during the day. If you are correct celebrate! (high 5, hug, shake hands, cheer etc.) If the both of you are correct celebrate again!
- Now ask people to find another participant to share. Repeat this for at least 3 rounds, but 4 or 5 times is even more fun 🙂
Wil jij meer serious games gebruiken en leren?
Kom dan naar één van onze Serious game labs en leer zelf hoe je serious games faciliteert en evalueert.
See Eventbrite workshops
Do you want games to make more impact in work? Mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org